Wednesday 2 December 2009

Do We Seriously Expect to Win on the 10th

Lets look at some facts. St Helens is a Tory stronghold. It is one of the wealthier area's of the Borough and has been Tory for longer than anyone can remember. The other main parties usually only put up a token 'paper' candidate and are happy with the few votes that they do get.

The English Democrats are the new boys on the block, in fact we've been active in the town for about 6 weeks! When I say 'active' lets just make sure that we all understand what I mean. When I joined the English Democrats just a short while ago, I was effectively the only member in the town and I was tasked with building the membership. I was OK with that as we had a good 6 months to go before the General Election next May.

Then of course the Tories did what they are particularly good at - messing things up. The sitting Councillor resigned, which threw all of my plans into a cocked hat. Suddenly I had an election to fight. No mean task for one guy. Of course, we could have just stood back and let this one slip by but I have never gone through the process of an election before and reckoned that this was an ideal opportunity to cut our teeth on.

Indeed the exercise has proved useful and come the main election we will know exactly what the procedure is. It is also proving useful in introducing the party to an unenlightened population. The initial reaction from people as soon as they see the word 'English' is to presume that we are a fascist right-wing organisation, which I find very sad, however as soon as people realise exactly what we stand for, the mood changes - sometimes to enthusiasm. I find this particularly from young families who really do have an understanding about the dire situation our country is in.

So, can we win on the 10th? Well we are certainly going all out for a win and there is a possibility. To overturn a generation or two of Tory rule in this ward will be fantastic if optimistic, particularly when you consider that the party infrastructure consists of - me! The upside is that committee meetings are very pleasant and everybody is always in agreement.

Wish 'us' luck please and visit www.englishdemocrats1066.org

No comments:

Post a Comment